Bird-window collisions survey on UNC Campus
(The following protocol is adapted from the Window collision project at Duke University)
Survey period: Fall 2021 (Sep 22nd to Oct 12th, 2021).
Survey time: 12 to 6 pm every day during the survey period.
Survey locations: 5 buildings on UNC Campus.
- FedEx Global Education Center
- Tate-Turner-Kuralt Building (School of Social Work)
- Wilson Hall and breezeway
- Davis Library
- Frank Porter Graham Student Union
Data collection protocol:
- During each survey, the observer will walk the entire perimeter of the building, looking for bird carcasses or injured birds in a 2-m search from the building wall.
- If carcasses or injured birds are found, the volunteer will take pictures of the bird from all angles and make sure the field marks of the bird are visible from the pictures. Then volunteers will upload their pictures on iNaturalist and assign their observations to a project called “Bird Collisions at UNC-Chapel Hill”. If volunteers have difficulties using iNaturalist, please email the pictures to email@example.com. Here’s how to use iNaturalist. In order to assign your observation to an iNaturalist project, you need to join that project first.
- (1) If you are using the mobile app of iNaturalist, click “more” and then click “Projects”. Then use the search button to type in “Bird Collisions at UNC-Chapel Hill”, then click “Join”. Now, when you make a new observation on iNaturalist, you can click on “Projects” and choose “Bird Collisions at UNC-Chapel Hill”.
(2) If you are using the website of iNaturalist, you will need to search for that project from the upper left corner on the main page when you log in and then join the project, then you will be able to assign your observation to “Bird Collisions at UNC-Chapel Hill”.
- If no carcasses or injured birds are found, skip to the next step.
- The final step is to fill out a google form survey to submit your survey result.
- If you find bird carcasses or injured birds outside of the targeted 5 buildings, please submit your data through the above google form as well.
Volunteer Signup Schedule
If you are interested in helping to survey bird-window collisions on UNC Campus, please sign up on this google sheet. Thank you so much for your help!!
Information about parking and visiting UNC Campus
A parking permit is not required on UNC Campus from Friday 5 pm to Mon 7:30 am every week. Volunteers who are not UNC students or employees can survey the buildings on the afternoons of Friday (after 5 pm), Saturday, and Sunday by car. However, surveying these buildings by foot, bus, and bicycle is recommended. A free bus route of RU drives through 4 of the 5 survey locations.
Information about collecting bird carcasses
Volunteers can collect and freeze the dead birds for the bird specimen collections at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Please put the carcass in a ziplock with a piece of paper indicating the date, location, species, collector’s name, and cause of death. Then put the ziplock in a cooler and bring it to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences front desk.
Information about injured birds
If you find an injured bird from a window collision, please visit https://www.nc-claws.org/ for more information about bird rehabilitation.
Contact information for this project
Community Science Committee Chair
New Hope Audubon Society